How Long Does It Take to Paint a House Interior
Painting the interior of your house can throw a wrench in your day to day plans for sure. When you paint your house, you will need to do a good bit to prepare your home so that your furniture and other items in your home are not damaged by getting paint on them. Since this means that your furniture and household items are usually not accessible during this time, it’s important to know just how long it’s going to take to paint your whole house’s interior. Let’s take a look at what adds time to your paint job and just how long it takes to paint your house’s interior.
One of the biggest factors that contribute to the amount of time it takes to paint your house is how big it is. A 5,000 SF house is going to take considerably longer than a 1,000 SF house. However, just using your home’s square footage is a very hard way to estimate the length of time that your home will take, as there are many other factors that come into play. These other factors that can make an interior paint job take longer are:
Factors That Affect Painting Time
- Walls vs Trim & Ceilings – This is one of the biggest factors that affects how long it will take us to paint your home. Just painting walls is much faster than if we’re painting walls ceilings and trim as well. This is mainly because of the drying times of the paint. If we are painting the ceiling, we have to wait for it to completely dry before moving onto the walls. The same is true of trim
- Windows and Doors – the more windows and doors a room has the longer that room takes. This is because of the extra masking that has to be done so that paint only goes where it’s supposed to.
- Smaller Rooms vs Big Rooms – Smaller rooms and spaces take longer than one big room as there are more areas that require taping and masking as opposed to having big wide walls that are easier to spray.
- Multiple Colors – Multiple colors take longer as well, because of the need to clean brushes, sprayers and all equipment so that the colors are not blended. This all adds to the time needed to paint a house interior.
- Height of Walls & Vaulted Ceilings – Very tall walls and vaulted ceilings also present a challenge that means we will need more time to paint your house.
- Popcorn Ceilings – These can also add time to your painting job, especially if we are removing the popcorn.
- Wallpaper Removal – If we are removing wallpaper before painting, this will add time to your job as well.
As you can see, the question of how long it takes to paint a house interior is not a cut and dry one. In general, we can paint between 2-3000 SF of home interior a day. All of the factors listed above can cause this to be less or more. If you’d like to discuss your specific project and get a more accurate estimate of how long it will take to paint your house, please give us a call at 720-370-3063 or contact us via our estimate form so that we can set up a free estimate for you.