Like many homeowner’s wanting to paint their house, you may be asking “What does a house painting warranty cover?” Let’s face it, painting your house isn’t the cheapest thing out there. To protect your house from the elements and keep it looking sharp, painting is required maintenance. When you’re shelling out hard earned money for something, you want to have the peace of mind that what you’re paying for is going to last and you’re getting my money’s worth, right?
That’s where the warranty you receive when you paint your house comes into play and is so important. So let’s look at what types of warranties you might get with a house painting job, what a typical paint warranty covers, what it should cover and how it adds value to the paint job you’re investing in.
Types of House Painting Warranties
- There are two types of warranties that you might receive when your house is painted. The first is a manufacturer warranty from the manufacturer of the paint that you’re using on your house. This is the only warranty that a DIY project will have and comes direct from the manufacturer you chose to buy your paint from.
- They typically only cover defects in the paint caused by a faulty product. They don’t cover any workmanship errors or environmental causes. Ten years down the road, it’s going to be hard to prove that the paint was faulty, no matter how bad it failed. Additionally, with the way that color trends change, most of the time you house will be repainted again long before the warranty term ends. This doesn’t mean that a manufacturer warranty is meaningless, but it’s good to be aware of how it covers your house painting investment.
- The second type of warranty that you may have with your house painting is the contractor’s warranty. This is usually a much more comprehensive warranty that actually adds value to the painting job you’re paying for. A reputable and professional house painter should offer a warranty as a way to stand behind their work and to ensure customer satisfaction with their purchase.
- Unfortunately, what we see often is less than honest contractors also using their warranty as a way to close the sale and not fully honoring their warranty. Alternatively, what they are offering is too small and limited of a warranty to actually add any further value to the painting job.
Not All Warranties Are Created Equal
When it comes to contractor’s house painting warranties, not all are created equal. It’s important to get your warranty in writing, and to make sure that you fully understand the terms and conditions of your warranty. Here are some questions you should make sure to ask about your warranty:
- How long is the warranty good for?
- What does it cover exactly?
- Does it cover workmanship only?
- Does it cover any acts of God/Nature?
- What does the warranty define as a defect?
- Does it cover damage not caused by acts of God/Nature?
These are all important aspects of a warranty that you need to consider.
What Does a House Painting Warranty Cover Typically?
Most contractor’s warranties cover workmanship and quality of contractor supplied paint, and not much else. The length of these warranties vary greatly, but are typically 2-8 years depending on the type of paint chosen. Lower quality paint will usually come with a shorter term of the warranty. The other main thing that is covered in most house painting warranties is the workmanship.
There is always a list of exclusions to any warranty, and a paint warranty is no different. The most common exclusion is Acts of God, such as weather damage. Other exclusions that are typical are damage caused after the job is completed, such as any damage caused by the homeowner or others or any chipping, peeling, cracking, etc. Additionally, existing structural damage, layers of old and peeling paint or other problems with the house may cause a paint job to fail; many contractors will be unable to offer a warranty.
At Kind Home Solutions, we pride ourselves on our industry leading warranty. All of our exterior paint jobs come with a warranty good for 8 to 12 years, depending on the paint you choose. This warranty covers all manufacturers defects in paint, 100% of our workmanship and even any cracking, peeling, fading or chipping.
Unlike most painting contractors, we will even cover any damage to your paint caused by kids, cars, dogs, BBQ’s, etc, because we know life happens and no paint job is indestructible. We will happily fix any damage, whether caused by us or not. With our process, before we even paint your house we take care of any old paint damage or wood issues that need repairing, existing problems with your house won’t affect the workmanship we give you. Kind Home Solutions can’t cover any mistakes from previous painters, but can make sure that your house is prepped and painted professionally.
While we will cover almost anything that happens to your paint, there are of course a few things we can’t cover, such as Acts of God. These would include, Hurricanes, Fires, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Flooding, Hail Damage…Basically Mother Nature. That’s why we all have insurance, right? If this does unfortunately happen, please let us be your second call after your insurance and let our years of experience help make the process of working with your insurance a little easier.
If you’d like to learn more about our industry leading paint warranty or have any questions, please contact us via email or call us at 720-370-3063.