What Is A Top-Rated Painter?
When it comes to hiring a top-rated interior paint professional you’ll want to look for a few key things. A great interior painter is trustworthy, experienced, and offers fantastic value. Knowing when you’ve found an interior painter who is truly top-rated can be challenging. So, we’re here to help! If an interior painting project is in your future keep reading for our top tips and tricks.
How to Find A Top-Rated Painter Who Is Trustworthy?
Finding a qualified painter you can trust is tricky, especially if it’s your first time painting. Having someone working inside your home can be unnerving so it’s important to find a painter you can trust.
Steps for Determining if Your Interior Painter is Trustworthy
To determine if you’ve got a trustworthy painter there’s some homework you need to do. This is what we call due diligence and it’s a critical step to selecting a top-rated interior painter. One of the best ways to confirm a painter’s trustworthiness is by checking out their online reviews.
References are tremendous but online reviews are even better because they give you access to unfiltered client experiences. You want to look for a company or painter who has consistently high ratings. If you do see concerning reviews, don’t be afraid to ask the painter about those directly. You can tell a lot by how people respond to those kinds of inquiries. You should also review several sites whenever possible. We recommend Google, Yelp, Home Advisor, and the BBB to get started.
Key Takeaways for Finding A Trustworthy Painter
- Check out online reviews.
- Don’t rely only on company provided references.
- Look for public responses to negative reviews or ask the painter about those specifically.
- If your painter has very little or no online presence you may want to pass.
- Bonus Tip: Look for companies that have at least 25 reviews.
If your interior painter has a healthy number of recent, positive reviews online you can likely assume they are trustworthy.
Finding An Experienced Top-Rated Interior Painter
Interior painting projects aren’t cheap and they are invasive. Choosing an interior painter who has relevant experience helps you avoid project headaches. An experienced painter will understand your project and be able to anticipate issues. So, how do you determine if a painter has experience?
To determine if a top-rated interior painter really has the experience, seeing is believing. Ask to see photos of their work or check their website to see if they have project galleries. However, be cautious with website images because they could be stock photos. If that’s a concern, ask the painter directly if they can share photos with you.
What to Look for With Project Photos
- Clean lines at the baseboards and ceilings. Don’t be afraid to zoom in!
- Prep photos. Photos of prep are so important because they show you how the painter will protect your home during painting.
- Coverage and sheen. Cheaper paint products typically don’t offer the coverage that higher-end paint does. Keep an eye out for uneven coverage and confirm the products that will be used. For instance, cheaper paints can also look cheap so make sure you like the sheen and finish quality.
How Do You Know If You’re Getting A Good Value?
This may be the hardest thing to confirm with your painter. Most people think value equals price but that’s not always the case. Price is incredibly important but making sure you’re getting great value means you’re less likely to have buyer’s remorse.
To make sure you’re getting the best value possible keep an eye out for a few key things.
- Confirm what’s included with your price. Is your painter taking care of prep, patching, and protection? What are you really getting?
- Ask about a warranty. A top-rated interior painter should offer a warranty of some kind. Be sure to ask what’s included with the warranty and how that process works. Be cautious about companies who typically have a short warranty but are “willing” to extend it as that may be hard to count on down the road.
- Calculate your year-over-year price. You can really get a good idea of what the real cost of your painting project is by doing some quick math. Take the total cost of your paint project and divide it by the number of years included with the warranty. This will give you your year-over-year cost so you can compare the cost to the lifetime of the paint. For example; a $4,000 paint job with a 4-year warranty is $1,000 a year. Alternatively, a $6,000 paint job with an 8-year warranty is $750 annually. Sometimes that upfront savings might be worth it but it’s important to weigh pros and cons.
Choosing Your Top-Rated Interior Painter
Now that you’ve done your due diligence it’s time to select your painter. Even with all of these steps it is important that you trust your gut at the end of the day. If you get an uneasy feeling with someone or if a deal seems too good to be true then it probably is. Follow your instincts, look at the lifetime of the paint, and check out the company’s online presence. We hope this helps you feel more confident the next time you need to find a truly top-rated interior painter.